Wednesday 10 August 2011

Why running is brilliant and what I've learned about plans

Running Girl

 

Running is changing my life in so many ways; is helping my depression no end, it is helping my battle against endometriosis and it is giving me a new positivity and focus in my life alongside the girls.

Running is utterly brilliant. What I am learning about the way that I am approaching my training for this half marathon I realise can be applied to so many other areas in life. My schedule for training the Half  is broken down into weeks, into days, into various speeds, length of sessions and rest days.

This is essentially a project. This project is big, it's ambitious, it's something that I have never done before. I've never tried to run 13.1 miles and it's something that I'm aiming for,  my eyes set on that goal.

Approaching this project could be like approaching any other but I so often don't do it this way. If I replaced running and my training schedule with a plan in my life, be it for something like writing a book or for producing something else that I've always wanted to do then I can see how planning and achieving things step by step makes these goals all the more approachable and so much less scary. I can see how other things other mountains in my life can be overcome in the same way that I am overcoming this challenge: bit by bit, week by week, day by day and one foot in front of the other.

Going step by step is key; I am really prone to overdoing it. In fact this week I have had to rest because my shins were starting to get shin splints as I had increased my mileage too quickly. The plan I am back following now is smaller slices, enough time for my body to recover and get used to what I am now doing to it.

One foot on front of the other, and making a plan to stick to.

What areas or goals in your life could you apply this to?

 

Let me know,

DD

x

 

Image: Armono's Photostream

No comments:

Post a Comment