Saturday 6 August 2011

NHS, private ethics and me

ethics

 

So, my lovely readers, where do you stand with the ethics of private healthcare versus our good old NHS?

Do you have an opinion? Ever thought about it? Me neither, until recently.

Before being diagnosed with endometriosis I had private healthcare - I never used it, it was just something I wanted to have as a back up and when I was at an age I could just about afford it, I signed up to PPP.

My renewal quote went up one year to a figure that felt a little unmanageable so I cancelled.

 

Idiot.

 

I had not been diagnosed with endo by then so could have, SHOULD have used it to get seen, diagnosed, and on the path to getting sorted much faster.

Now I am tainted with the "existing condition" brush -  'bye 'bye private healthcare, speedy operations and comfy rooms, hello waiting list, pain and frustration.

Don't get me wrong, I love the NHS; I have had the honour of being looked after in hospital for 5 laparoscopies, numerous scans and a C-section. We have a wonderful, inclusive system which allows us all access to medical treatment.

The one time I have experienced private healthcare as an adult (my family paid for my adenoids and tonsils to be removed privately as a Mini Diva, but I digress), was when I stalked down the best endometriosis consultant locally and paid £150 to see him for advice.

Why?

Simple  - I was getting nowhere with the other bods at my local hospital who kept insisting that endometriosis couldnt have come back after my pregnancy and this must be IBS or "something". Not the most useful advice when you are at your wits end trying to live life as a young mum smacked out on codeine and manically depressed from pain.

So, we paid to see this fella - £150 notes and an appointment was mine within a few days. A whole hour of time with an expert who knew his stuff, and to my relief agreed with my own diagnosis. He also got his diary out to have an operation as soon as I wanted, a scenario I had never seen before.

As I had no health insurance, no cover, and no spare 5k I waited until the next available slot came from the NHS, some 4 months later. I must stress, I didn't see him privately to queue jump, and still had to go through the same process as all patients do. I just wanted to pay to hear someone who knew his stuff talk to me, and to talk some sense.

The service and general offering is SO different in the private sector. Of course it is, t's a business, like any other. I have to say too, if we had the money, I would be visiting Mr Trehan in Yorkshire like a shot to have an operation that isn't offered by other docs in the UK, and is purported to be a really effective alternative to having my ovaries castrated.

There are those who disagree with people using private healthcare, as it takes funds away from the NHS. Apparently. So the argument goes. I dont know enough about the facts to argue either way, but what I do know is, that I life my life in a great deal of pain and if I had the ability to have it all seen to much faster on my terms, and where I chose to, I damn well would. I wonder how many private healthcare protestors woud be as adamant about their ethics if they lived in daily pain, or a loved one needed an operation that had a huge waiting list.

I am so incredibly grateful for the NHS and what they have done for me, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go private if I could.

I keep kicking around the idea of raising money for the Trehan treatment, to start a campaign and sponsorship from fundraising to get it together myself. There is something that doesn't feel right about that though, despite a quick Google discovery that people DO do this, for their pets as well as humans. There is something that feels so selfish about trying to gather money for a procedure that could radically change my life, yet it also seems a proactive path rather than writing it off.

What do you think? Would you raise monet for yourself? Is it ethical to go private if you can? What would you do if you needed urgent help but it went against your morals?

 

Let me know what you think.

DD

x

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm a very thought provoking post. I have like you never been able to afford the luxury of a private healthcare plan and part of me has always thought it's not the end of the world. In theory the money I have saved over my 21 years of being officially and adult (sadly my adult brain is nowhere to be found) of monthly subscriptions to a private health care plan would probably go most of the way to paying for a treatment. In an ideal healthy world, this theory is fine. However none of us have anyway of knowing what lies around the corner and cannot rely on our health or take it for granted. Given the choice, I would pay to go private at all costs if I wasn't able to get what I needed and when I needed it through the NHS. As to whether I would raise money for myself I am not sure I can answer that one. I suppose it would depend on the condition and whether it was life threatening or not and how badly my life was affected. But one thing is for sure, I would beg, borrow,
    scrim and save to get the best possible care I could.

    Good luck x

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, my empathy for your endo. I know it can be very difficult to treat and I wish you all the best with getting rid of the pain.

    Secondly... It's a tricky subject. I never used to agree with private healthcare: I felt if no-one used it then the government would have to invest more in the NHS, and I thought that a two-tier system with richer people getting better care was morally wrong.

    Then I got a debilitating chronic condition which NHS doctors tried to fob off as me being delusional. After four years, I finally saw a private GP. He not only diagnosed me but has treated me with more kindness and respect than I've ever had from an NHS doctor.

    The idea I once had that private doctors are just in it for the money whereas NHS doctors are these huge humanitarians is just not true.

    While I'd like to get the care and respect I get from my private doc on the NHS, and think everyone should, ideally, sometimes you have to be pragmatic for the sake of your health.

    I'm not sure if I'd ever campaign to raise money for myself. Maybe I would if I was in constant pain. I think it might even be empowering. And once you felt great, you could help a charity out with your time, pay it forward. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. R39PkJ http://wnbUj5n0mXqpcvm27Hms.biz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other amount http://umodaqajaq.blog.free.fr/ model riding cock WTF! She admits to never having kids in the interview yet shes on a MILF special. I despise cognitive errors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Until August http://equmapohia.de.tl rompl pedo bbs Damn she's hot... and the cool thing is it really doesn't show much, and it's still makes you happy. nothin but tits and ass. : )

    ReplyDelete